Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Recipe: French Toast with Butter Syrup



My family and I look forward to Saturdays, because we can plan for the breakfast foods that we crave all week.  Now, don't get me wrong.....I have a home cooked breakfast for my family every morning, but they're usually the kind of meals that take no longer than 15 minutes to cook. We reserve the breakfast meals that take longer to cook for the weekends.


This past weekend, I was craving french toast.....but I noticed that we didn't have any maple syrup or pancake syrup.  To me, I can't have french toast or pancakes without some sort of syrup.  The thought crossed my mind to run to the store, but I knew that Liam wouldn't wait that long for breakfast.  At that moment, I realized that there was probably a way to make my own syrup.  I searched the web for a recipe that would satisfy my craving, but I couldn't find one that I thought would work.  So.....I decided to experiment with my own.  What did I come up with?  A buttery delicious sweet syrup that took less than 5 minutes to make.....yes.....I said less than 5 minutes.  That takes much less time than running to the store.

I hope you and your family enjoy this sweet Saturday morning breakfast recipe!  Don't forget to bring the conversation as well!

French Toast

3 large eggs (beaten)
3/4 cup of whole milk
1 tablespoon of natural or organic sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
6-7 slices of oat bread or some other nutty grain bread
Butter for cooking the french toast

1.  Preheat the griddle to 300-350 degrees F.
2.  Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, and vanilla extract in a 8x8 square glass baking dish.
3.  Melt 1 tablespoon of butter on the griddle and spread the melted butter over the entire griddle surface.
4.  Place the slices of bread (one or two at a time) in the egg mixture.  Allow the bread to sit in the mixture for 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side.  Place the coated bread on the griddle.
5.  Cook the bread on the griddle until it is golden brown.
6.  Repeat steps 3-5 until all of the french toast is cooked.
7.  Serve with syrup and fruit or nuts.

Butter Syrup

1/2 cup of dark brown sugar
1/2 cup of organic sugar or granulated sugar 
1/2 cup of water
1 tablespoon of butter

1.  Combine the first three ingredients in a small saucepan.
2.  Bring to simmer.
3.  Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
4.  Turn off the heat and add the butter.  Stir until the butter has completely melted.
5.  Allow to cool until it is warm but not hot.
6.  Serve over pancakes, waffles, or french toast.




No comments:

Post a Comment