Friday, February 10, 2012

Recipe: Apple Streusel Coffee Cake

I love having play dates at our home, but it can get a little stressful thinking about how to feed all the kiddos and mommies on our budget.  Just like with my everyday grocery shopping, I keep in mind the regularly low priced items and sale items when I'm developing my play date menu.  At a recent play date at our home, I came across a recipe for an apple streusel coffee cake from Gale Gland and Elsie Grossman (Food Network).  I made a few modification to adjust the taste to my preferences, but it was pretty close to the original recipe.  I wanted to post this recipe, because it's cheap, easy to make, and tastes great!

Apple Streusel Coffee Cake
(Adapted from Gale Gland and Elsie Grossman)

Ingredients for the cake:
1 cup of all purpose flour
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
2 1/4 teaspoons of baking powder
1/2 cup of natural sugar
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 large egg (beaten)
1/2 cup of milk
1/4 cup of melted butter
1 1/2 cup of chopped apple (I used Fuji apples)

Ingredients for the streusel topping:
1/2 cup of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of all purpose flour
2 tablespoons of butter
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon

1.  Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2.  Mix together the dry ingredients for the cake (both types of flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon).
3.  Mix together the egg, milk, and melted butter in a small bowl.  Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients.  Also, add the chopped apples to the dry ingredients.  Mix until combined.
4.  Grease an 8x8 square baking pan.  Pour the batter into the pan.  This batter should be very thick.
5.  In a small bowl, mix together the streusel ingredients.  Use your fingers to cut the butter into the rest of the ingredients.  Sprinkle the streusel over the top of the batter.
6.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the cake.




No comments:

Post a Comment