Thursday, January 26, 2012

Recipe: Squash Gnocchi

I know I've been posting a good number of squash recipes, but my local grocery store has been having rotating sales on all of the winter squash varieties.  At $0.79/pound, I couldn't resist picking up another kabocha squash to experiment with.....and I decided to experiment with kabocha squash gnocchi!

I love a good classic white potato gnocchi, but I try not to make it too often since it really doesn't pack a nutritional punch.  I've been trying various versions of gnocchi including sweet potato and squash.  I figured, if I can make a butternut squash gnocchi, then I can make gnocchi with kabocha squash.

Kabocha squash has a slightly different texture from butternut squash or pumpkin.  After roasting it in the oven, I found that the texture is actually similar to that of a white potato.  Once I noticed that, I just knew that it would be perfect for gnocchi.  If you decide that you want to use butternut squash instead, you'll need to add a little more flour since it tends to be moister than the kabocha.

This gnocchi can be served with a variety of sauces including marinara, brown butter, and balsamic reduction.  Tonight, we decided to go the balsamic reduction route.  Although balsamic vinegar can be expensive, you use very little of it.....so a little can go a long way.....in flavor and finances.

Squash Gnocchi



1 small cooked kabocha squash (about 2 cups/skin removed)
1 cup of flour and more for kneading/rolling
2 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
1 tablespoon of kosher salt for boiling

-  Mash the squash or put through a ricer.
-  Add the egg yolks, salt, and flour.  Mix until completely combined.  You may need to use your hands here to make sure it's all combined.
-  Knead the dough for about 3-4 minutes or until it feels dry when you touch it.
-  Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces.
-  Roll each piece into a long "rope" that is about an inch in diameter.  Cut the "rope" in 1 inch pieces.  You can leave the gnocchi in this shape or use a fork and your finger to give it a more traditional gnocchi appearance.
-  Bring a large pot of water to boil and add 1 tablespoon of salt.  Add the gnocchi pieces and boil until they float to the top.
-  Remove the gnocchi from the water.  Serve this with the sauce of you choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment