Monday, January 2, 2012

Recipe: Chicken Fried Tofu with Spicy Honey Mustard

This is one of those "accidental" recipes on which my husband and I collaborated.  I conjured up the chicken fried tofu recipe when I was strapped for time one day, and hubby came up with the spicy honey mustard sauce because he felt that the honey mustard "needed something."  That something was sriracha....a garlic chili sauce.  It is truly amazing if you love hot foods.  It has this smooth, garlicky spice that goes well on just about any Asian foods.

Something that I very much love to do is fusion cooking.  It reminds me.....well of me!  Just like my cultural background, this recipe is an east meets west dish.  I combined my love of both Asian and American cuisine in order to get this easy and unique dish.  When serving this to my family, I paired this lovely dish with some roasted acorn squash and an Asian-inspired broccoli salad.

Chicken Fried Tofu

1/2 cup of whole wheat flour or all purpose flour (I used whole wheat for the nutrition factor)
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon of paprika (depending on your taste)
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
1 pack of firm tofu (18 oz.)
Canola oil for frying

-  Slice the tofu into 1/2 inch slices.  This usually results in 6 slices for most brands of tofu.
-  Combine the flour, salt, paprika, and black pepper.
-  Coat the tofu slices with the flour mixture.
-  Heat oil in a pan for shallow frying.
-  Shallow fry the tofu slices until golden brown on each side.

Spicy Honey Mustard

1/4 cup of Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons of honey
1 to 2 teaspoons of sriracha sauce (or to taste)

-  Combine all of the ingredients.
-  Serve with chicken fried tofu.

No comments:

Post a Comment