Monday, January 23, 2012

Mommy Money Saving Tip: Make Your Own Bread Crumbs

I don't know about you, but this household doesn't like eating the end pieces of loaf bread.  I always end up with these leftover pieces and nothing to do with them.  Even though I don't prefer the end pieces, I also don't like wasting food.  That's why I thought that it would be perfect to use these pieces for homemade bread crumbs!

When bread is stored in the fridge or freezer, you can extend the shelf life.  After we finish with all the middle pieces of the loaf, I toss the bags of end pieces in the refrigerator or freezer.  Once I accumulate about 6-8 pieces (and that doesn't take long in this family), I begin the process of bread crumb making.

To begin, I preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.  Then, I pulse the pieces of bread in a food processor or crumble them up in my (clean) hands when I don't feel like dirtying up extra dishes.  After that, I spread the crumbs in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake for 3-5 minutes or until dry.  Store in the freezer until you're ready to use them.  It's that easy!

I love making my own bread crumbs because:

1.  I can avoid wasting the end pieces of the bread.
2.  I can have wheat bread crumbs that are fluffy and light versus the dense and grainy store bought bread crumbs.  These homemade bread crumbs are close in texture to Panko bread crumbs.
3.  Homemade tastes better!

Use them in any recipe that calls for bread crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment