Friday, April 6, 2012

Recipe: Chocolate Truffles

OK....it's been a while since my last post.  With Easter coming up, I was swamped with my long to do list.  Luckily, some of those to do's doubled up as blog post topics!

I'm not someone who is opposed to giving a toddler some candy every now and then.  However, I'm not a big fan of the processed candies that contain more chemicals than real food ingredients.  Something about that just doesn't sit well with me.....but I still wanted Liam to be able to have candy in his Easter basket.  That's why I decided to make my own marshmallows and chocolate truffles allowing me to keep the good ingredients in and the chemicals out.

The chocolate truffles were really easy to make and tasted so decadent, and the beauty of truffles is that they can be kept in the fridge for weeks allowing you to make them way ahead of time. 

Chocolate Truffles
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

9 ounce package of organic bittersweet chocolate
9 ounce package of organic semisweet chocolate
1 cup of organic heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
Toasted shredded coconut, cocoa powder mix, and chopped pecans or other ingredient of choice for dusting/coating

1.  If using the cocoa powder mix for dusting, take 3 tablespoons of natural sugar and place in a blender or food processor.  I used the Magic Bullet due to the small size.  Blend until it resembles powdered sugar.  Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to the sugar.  Mix is ready to be used in dusting.
2.  In a small saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a boil.  Remove the cream from the heat and let stand for 20 seconds. 
3.  Using a mesh strainer, pour the cream through the strainer and into a large bowl.  Add the chocolates and whisk until the chocolate has melted.  Add the vanilla and whisk to combine.  Let the chocolate stand at room temperature for about 1 hour.   
4.  Cover a sheet pan with parchment paper or just grease the sheet pan.  Using 2 teaspoons, spoon out the chocolate by the teaspoonful and use the other teaspoon to drop the chocolate onto the pan.  Repeat until with the rest of the chocolate.  Keep each dollop separated by leaving about an inch between each truffle.  Refrigerate the truffles for 30 minutes.
5.  Roll each chocolate dollop with your hand to make a ball.  Roll the ball in the coating of your choice.  Serve immediately or refrigerate for later use.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! What a great recipe. I wish I were better at baking, but your directions make it seem very easy.

    ReplyDelete